Expert Long Island Conversation Advice
The easiest way to lower your carbon footprint and your greenhouse gas emissions is to improve the efficiency of your home comfort systems. Today's air conditioning systems typically reduce energy consumption by about 30%. When you upgrade, you not only save money, you decrease your environmental footprint and lessen demand for electricity.
Warm Weather Tips
- Keep shades, blinds, curtains and drapes closed during the day to block out the sun.
- Clear furniture away from air conditioning vents.
- Install an attic fan - it can cool your attic by nearly 30 degrees!
- Plant trees due west of west windows. The shade could reduce your air conditioning bills by up to 25%!
- Cook on the outdoor grill to keep cooking heat outside the home.
- When cooking inside, use a microwave instead of a conventional oven. It uses less than half the power and cooks food in about a quarter of the time.
- Install reflective window coatings to reflect heat away from your home.